Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vineman - 6 days away!

Wow! So, it's been awhile since I've updated this blog. After the 3/4 to Ironman Weekend at Clearlake in June, training has been go, go, go until last week when taper started. The past 9 months have been quite a journey and an experience of a lifetime in which I've gotten to get to know some fantastic people and where I've gotten to know my physical & mental capabilities.

After I conquered swimming open water 2 miles in Clearlake, my open water fears disappeared the rest of the season. And now that the water is warmer than during the winter, I never thought that I'd ever say that I now prefer swimming in open fresh water over a swimming pool. (I only tolerate swimming in salty San Francisco Bay). Today, I completed my first official swim race, the Catfish Crawl in Stevens Creek Reservoir. I learned that I can handle a mass swim start (this event only had about 300 people at the start) without panicking. So, I feel ready for Saturday Vineman swim start.

Other weekend highlights of the season since Clearlake:
  • Week 30 Tour of the East Bay Alps - 75 mile bike ride, 9000 feet of climing, including up to the Mt Diablo summit, followed the next day by 12 mile run
  • Week 31 Rode 107 miles in Napa - the longest distance ever for me on my bike
  • Week 32 First time I've completed 16-mile trail run at China Camp State Park in Marin County. Next day followed by 1 hour open water swim and 30 mile bike ride
  • Week 33: Triple Brick (30 mile bike/5 mile run, repeated 3 times) in 107F heat. Crazy huh? Followed the next day by 1 hour open water swim
  • Week 34: Ran 19 miles solo in Walnut Creek in 90F heat. Next day followed by 1 hour open water swim and 45 mile bike ride.
  • Week 35: Swam 1.7 miles in open water immediately followed by 13 mile run. Next day biked the East Bay Century, taking me up and over Mt. Diablo again, in hot weather. Experienced first bike fall of the season.
  • Week 36: Began taper. Ran 10 miles in beautiful, foggy San Francisco. Next day biked 45 miles
  • Week 37: Catfish Crawl - my first open water race! Followed by Louie Bonpua Memorial Run.
  • Week 38: This week...pack for Vineman!

If you are interested in going to watch the Vineman race in Sonoma County, details are posted on the Vineman website: http://www.vineman.com/triathlon.htm

Thank you all friends for your support all season! Also, if you are a member of Facebook, let me know. I've been posting my photos and actually doing mini updates there.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

it was GREAT meeting you at the "Crawl" this weekend!

I'm so excited for your upcoming Vineman - you're going to do terrific!

I agree with you that this was a great way to experience the mass swim start. I needed to be a part of that before doing sharkfest and escape from the rock.

o2bhiking said...

Good for you Jennifer, and good to see your blog updated. Good luck at the ironman. What an achievement. Art