Monday, February 23, 2009

Freakishly Strong: Brenda Donato

On May 15, 2006, I was reading a story posted on the front cover of the Contra Costa Times titled "Woman Embraces Life with Running Shoes On." It was an inspirational article that began like this:

Just before the horn sounded and sent 2,589 athletes on a chilly, mile-long swim, Brenda Donato couldn't believe that she was about to start her first triathlon. "I'm alive! I'm alive" she screamed, splashing her teammates as she jumped up and down at Lake San Antonio near Paso Robles. The Concord woman nearly hyperventilated with excitement, even as 25 miles of biking through rolling hills and a give-it-all-you have left, 6 mile run...

This newspaper article inspired me so much that five days later I met Brenda Donato in person and thus begin my my journey to train for endurance events and raise funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

On February 11, 2005 at age of 34 , Brenda was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. She spent 3 months in the hospital before receiving an autologous stem-cell transplant (with her own stem cells) on June 30, 2005 at UCSF Medical Center after three rounds of high dose chemotherapy. After leaving the hospital, she became very active with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Team in Training, completing the Nike Women's Half Marathon in October 2005, the Arizona Rock N Roll Marathon in January 2006 and Wildflower Olympic Distance Triathlon in May 2006. Still feeling healthy, she began training for the June 2006 Alaska Half Marathon.

On June 9, 2006, just days before she was to leave for her flight to Anchorage, Alaska, she found out her cancer returned and went back to UCSF for a fourth round of chemo. After using her own stem cells for a transplant in 2005, she would require a foreign donor's cells for another stem-cell transplant. Most fortunately, a 9 out of 10 match was found and Brenda had that transplant on September 20, 2006.

A few weeks later as I was running my first marathon and entered Golden Gate Park, I teared up, happy to see Brenda standing at the side holding her big yellow sign, "TNT: I AM ALIVE BECAUSE OF YOU!" She had escaped confinement and her body guard (Dad) had his sign to ensure that we didn't hug her.

While recovering, Brenda faced many physical and mental challenges. 110 days after her transplant, Brenda developed graft vs. host disease of the lungs. She bravely battled this new obstacle that reduced her lung capacity to 20% of normal. She passed away on April 14, 2007.

Brenda loved to update her My Space blog with the many details of her days. Just two days before she passed away, she posted this final message:

Through these years I have absolutely NO regrets. I worked hard and played even harder. I never said a swear word, always went to school on time, and won the PE award in high school. In fact, 3 days ago I just crawled up the stairs.

And now, I'm back in bed still hooked up, still using a commode, and wearing a purple t-shirt that says (in orange writing) "freakishly strong" while covered with a wonderful TNT blanket that was knitted for me just weeks ago.

Now I peacefully await and end the battle that has attacked my 36-year-old body surrounded by my most beautiful family and friends. Surreal, but true, this is really happening.

We all wait. Me, my family and friends that are here now, and all of you. Even thou
gh you're not here with me physically (it would simply be impossible for all of you to fit in this room), I want you to know I feel you and know you're here. I love all of you.

Thank you for loving and supporting me. Please continue to pour it out on my three boys.

In my previous blog, I mentionned that I was the awarded the IronTeam spirit cape. Brenda continues to inspire me to do my best. On the front of this cape, I ironed on this photo of "Freakishly Strong" Brenda taken on top of Inspiration Point in Berkeley. The Triple Crown represents what I will achieve with Team in Training when I complete Vineman on 8/1/09.

10 comments:

o2bhiking said...

This is a sad but very inspriational story. Thank you for sharing it, Jennifer. Wish I could have known her. Art

o2bhiking said...

Jennifer - I hope you won't mind but I used your post about Brenda as a mission moment for my mentees:

http://racn4acure.blogspot.com/2009/02/mentoring-e-mail-16.html

I like your cape decoration. the triple crown is a great touch! Art

Jennifer said...

Thanks Art. I don't mind at all.

Brenda touched hundreds of people for the positive. I've gotten some really nice e-mails from teammates who knew Brenda. I will repost these comments as "anonymous".

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, my wife and I just read your story, it really moved us. We went through cancer a couple of years ago and what struck me the most in Brenda's story were her acceptance. I used to think that strength was in the denial of what could happen, but as I think more about it I realize that wisdom is in your ability to accept the inevitable.

Thank you for reminding us how lucky we are to have been given that extra time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen - it was so good to read about Brenda - she was a friend of mine too, from her Wildflower days, and I think of her often. Funnily enough I wrote about her in an email to my friends and family the other day saying I couldn't bear to delete her number from my phone still.... Anyway, thanks for paying her tribute and bringing her back to the forefront of our training and thoughts

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog and Brenda's story. I knew Brenda from the 2006 season (my only other TNT season) and followed some of her blogging and exchanged a little bit of email with her during her last months. she was a really amazing woman and i know many of us are better for having known her. i'm glad you shared her story with everyone. i think about her boys sometimes and wonder how they are. i lost my mom to cancer when i was 5, so the pain of growing up without a mom is very familiar for me. i am glad her boys will always have her blog to look back at along with their memories.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Thank you for reminding me why we are out there. I met Brenda the season she was on the tri team. We were in the same mentor group. She was one of those people that was really just truly great. Fun and full of life. On the long rides when I'm out there alone, I talk to her. Brenda reminds me what an honor and privilege it is to be training...and for an ironman no less.

PS Crying at work is hard to hide.

Anonymous said...

Brenda was on a spring Tri team once with us and did Wildflower.
She was amazing and I am continually inspired by knowing her.

Anonymous said...

Brenda was lucky to have a friend like you, and I just know she is watching you proudly from the heavens.

Let me explain my donation amount--38 is how old Brenda would be if she were alive today:(. THANK YOU for continuing to honor and remember her. Keep up the amazing work!

bkdlouisville said...

Brenda, you beautiful baby. Thinking of you and googled your name. It is no suprise you live! I have so many wonderful memories of our friendship. I miss you! b-2