Thursday, April 23, 2009

Double Centuries

My legs are finally recovered from this past weekend's double centuries. On Saturday, I road the Tour of Napa County century route with 7,453' total elevation gain. On Sunday, I road the Primavera Metric Century with 6,121' total elevation gain. Both days were hot, but Sunday was hotter with temps up to 92F. I hydrated well and never bonked or cramped. At each water stop, I refilled my hydration pack and water bottle. I took electrolyte pills every 30 minutes. The rest stops had very sweet Gatorade, so I stuck with my GU2O packets. I was trying out new cycle shorts on Sunday and fortunately didn't have any issues with saddle sores. Love the Chamois Butt'r.

I didn't have any mechanical issues or flats either day. Although at one point going downhill on steep Calaveras Road, another cyclists said to me, "I think your breaks are rubbing against your tire. Your bike is going so slow downhill." "It's me, not the bike," I responded. My fastest down hill speed on Sunday was 31mph. Any faster I feel I'm not in control. My day would be ruined if I road off the cliff.

Overall, I was happy with the weekend. After Saturday's 100 mile ride, I didn't think I was going to be able to ride another 100 miles on Sunday. At the last minute, I decided not to ride the full 100 miles at Primavera, which I think was a good call for my body's sake. It was getting really hot and all the climbing was starting to wear me out. After riding 158 miles, I was suppose to run immediately afterwards for 20 minutes. I chose to skip the run and got a nice long full body massage at the finish instead.

1 comment:

Louis K said...

You think I will find you at Wildflower and give you your postcard? haha... when are you going?