Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 17: Swam 4.5 mi/Biked 36.2 mi/Ran 17.3 mi

This past week was great. My cold congestion is finally slowly clearing up, making it easier to breath and think more clearly (since taking less cold-symptom relieving drugs). This week we began our build phase again with workouts each day. I swam a total of 4.5 miles, biked 36.2 miles and ran 17.3 miles. We had the best weather this weekend for our long workouts. Spring is finally here!

At Saturday's swim workout, Coach Nancy taught us the niftiest swim move to use to get out of a crowded swim start and get to the other side of the swimmer if we see more open space on their other side. In a mass start, we were told you got to keep moving forward because there are people swimming behind you. If you suddenly stop, swimmers will run into you. We learned that by rolling over and doing a single back stroke and rolling back to free style, we will continually move forward while literally rolling over on top of the swimmer next to us and getting to their other side. We practiced this move with a partner and I didn't notice when my partner rolled over me and I was not kicked, hit or bloodied when I rolled over her. We also practiced drafting to feel the difference in swimming in front (more effort) and swimming closely behind someone (less effort). I liked how it was less effort drafting, but I didn't like the constant bubbles in my face from the kicking in front of me.

Following our swim, we biked 21 miles in the rolling hills between San Ramon and Livermore, followed immediately by a 6 mile run.

Today a few of us met at Inspiration Point in the Berkeley hills and ran 9 miles. It was chilly up there, but we had great views of the San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Dam and were running just steps away from grazing cattle. I felt really good when I finished this run and felt that I could have gone further.

Belinda took this nice photo of us after the run. Front Left to Right: Kristie, Helen, me, Tammy, Nick and Belinda in back.

No comments: