Monday, December 29, 2008

Should I be worried?

This coming Saturday, January 3, I will be doing my first open water swim at Lake Del Valle. I've never swam in open water before and am quite nervous. I went to the Lake Del Valle website, which states that the mean water temperature at the end of December is 48F. That's freakin' cold!

Unfortunately, I did a Google search on 'cold water swimming'. One website said that acclimating to the cold water is a skill. "If it doesn't kill you, you'll be just fine." The United States Search and Rescue Task Force cold water survival website also provided the following information:

What happens to the body when suddenly plunged into cold water?
The first hazards to contend with are panic and shock. The initial shock can place severe strain on the body, producing instant cardiac arrest... Immersion in cold water can quickly numb the extremities to the point of uselessness. Within minutes, severe pain clouds rational thought. And finally, hypothermia (exposure) sets in, and unconsciousness and death.

Expected Survival Time in Cold Water
50-60F (16-21C) 1-2 hours exhaustion or unconsciouness; 1-6 hours survival time
40-50F (10-16C) 30-60 minutes exhaustion or unconsciousness; 1-3 hours survival time.

I will be wearing a wetsuit, but I think that I need to find myself some neoprene gloves, booties and swim cap. The coach says that for our first open water swim, we'll spend a lot of time getting use to the temperature by running in, swimming for 5-10 minutes and coming back out and doing push-ups and other exercises before jumping back in. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

Good luck! I bet all your training will kick in and you will do just fine.