Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Open Water Swim

Today, we had a choice of either doing a 30 mile bike rolling hill bike ride or an open water swim. Since it was going to rain this morning and I don't like riding my bike in the rain especially going downhill, I opted for the open water swim. I've never swam in open water before and wanted the practice in a controlled environment. Heather Farms Park Swim Center removed the lanes of their 50 meter x 25 yard pool and place three buoys in triangle formation to simulate an open water swim. This also allowed me to practice sighting.

When I arrived at 9am, seven other IronTeam members were there including Coach Dave and Coach Wayne. After warming up, Coach Dave thought it would be good for us to practice what a mass crowded swim felt like with bumping and touching. Like a school of fish, our little group swam tightly together around the pool. The first lap was a bit overwhelming for me at first since I've always swam with a wide buffer around me in a swim lane. When I turned my head up to breath, a wave of water from the arm stroke of the swimmer to my right landed in my mouth and down my throat. I know my swim form faltered as I just tried to swim balanced in the crowd. We did variations of this drill a couple more times and I was beginning to get use to it although I will need a lot more practice to get use to what I will experience next August.

Below is a video of the swim start at Ironman Lake Placid on 7/20/08. When I watch it, I just think, "What have I gotten myself into?"

No comments: