Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Body Balance Drills

This evening, Coach Nancy led us in our first coached swim workout at the Pleasant Hill Adult Center's large, salt water pool. Temp outside was 54F and it was definitely warmer being in the pool than out. In our first drill, Coach wanted to see if we could naturally float without moving our legs or arms. While I did float, my arms and legs sank, which apparently indicated that I would need to work harder to stay in a balanced position. Next we did body balance drills. Unfortunately, I did not swim balanced like this guy on the YouTube video.

I did learn that I need to narrow my kick, not bend so much at the knees when I swim sideways, use my whole leg more and point my toes. I am suppose to imagine myself swimming through a narrow tube. With a narrower kick, I would encounter less water resistance thus swim more efficiently. I'll practice this more when I swim again on Friday.

3 comments:

~danette~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~danette~ said...

I didn't know there was a salt water pool in our area! Good to know! Maybe we can meet there sometime and practice...you can help me with my underwater bubble blowing drills =)

Shawn said...

I wish I could make a 'wake' like that when I kicked! I feel like I'm not moving at all when I do these balance drills