Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Swim & Bike Trainer workout

Did two workouts today...swim and bike. The focus of today's swim was to get a marker to send to Coach Nancy on my 500 yard swim time (11:49:05). I've always just been a recreational lap swimmer and I just seemed to swim at the same speed and couldn't figure out how to make myself move through the water faster. And I can't seem to concentrate on two or more things at once, such as remembering what lap I'm on or the higher level pace I'm suppose to swim at and remembering to extend my arms further. If I lost count on the lap, I always erred on the lower count or started counting over at the last lap I was most sure of counting. One thing that made the swim great today is that Renaissance ClubSport just reopened their swimming pool after a thorough cleaning and the water is almost crystal clear.

Hopefully, I'll improve in time as the season progresses. In Vineman, the women's wave begins at 6:45am and the swim course closes at 9:15am. 2.5 hour limit for the 2.4 mile swim portion.


The second workout of the day was trainer workout, held in front of my favorite store, SportsBasement Walnut Creek. Coach Dave had us do peddling drills for an hour on our trainers. I overdressed again and had a puddle of sweat under my road bike by the time I was done. The spin class was fun and energizing. I'll need to get a cadence sensor so that I can track my cadence.

Week 1, Day 3:
Swam
1450 yards =.823 miles (Total Time 39:06:07)

Peddle Drills (1 hour)

Warm-up 10 minutes in middle-middle chainrings. Repeat the following drill set TWICE. Stay in big ring up front the entire workout, Shift to 3rd from largest ring in back. Alternate removing one foot from the pedals for one minute at a time, returning to two footed pedaling for one minute @ 90 rpm between single leg efforts. Repeat 4 times per leg.(12 minutes total). Shift to 4th from smallest gear in back. Pedal at 85 rpm. Focus all mental energy on the 1:00 to 3:00 position of the pedal stroke for 2 minutes. Focus all mental energy on the 4:00 to 6:00 position of the pedal stroke for 2 minutes. Focus all mental energy on the 6:00 to 9:00 position of the pedal stroke for 2 minutes. Focus all mental energy on the 9:00 to 12:00 position of the pedal stroke for 2 minutes. After second time throught the drills, shift to middle middle and cool down at 90 rpm for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

1 hour on the bike! wow what a workout!

I have trouble remembering my lap count too I find it sometimes helps if I break it into smaller segments. Instead of thinking "Swim 500 yards - that's 20 lengths" I think "Swim 100 yards 5 times" I have no idea why that's easier for me :) but it works :)