Thursday, November 13, 2008

This evening at 6pm, the temperature was unseasonally warm at 70F with clear skies, still air and a full moon (earthquake weather???). I opted to go for a swim rather than the bike and run workout listed on the calendar to see if I could improve my time from the Tuesday swim workout.

After I finished a 500 yard warm up, another swimmer asked if we could share the lane and the guy was Michael Phelps!!! Well, he wasn't actually the Olympic swimmer, but he swam fast--50 yards to my 20. As he propelled forward, the water divided in front of him, followed by lots of little bubbles and a big wake that always swept me into the plastic swim lane separators. I concentrated on imitating his arm stroke and the way his body turned like a corkscrew with each stroke. I saw a slight improvement (10:34) and shaved 1:15 off my Tuesday 500 yard baseline time. Still room for much more improvement.

Week 1, Day 5:
Total swim time: 35:00

1 comment:

Shawn said...

awesome! way to go! sometimes seeing someone do it is way different then being 'told' at least it is for me. I want to share a lane with Michael Phelps! :)