Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wednesday Night at the Tracks

I know that this is only Week 1 o f the next 9 months of my life...and I've only been on the IronTeam since Saturday, but so far I AM LOVING IT!!!! Tonight, IronTeam Mentor Kristie led us in our strength and run work out at the Diablo Valley College track. (The track is brand new and just reopened after a full summer of it being closed for upgrades. Running on the new track almost tops my swim yesterday in the crystal clear pool water.) When I got to the track I was happy to see my marathon buddy Danette, who is training for her first triathlon, Lavaman. Personally, I'd like to see Danette switch to the IronTeam and complete Vineman with me. I was also happy to see that my Solvang Century cycle Coach Lorraine, made the decision to join the IronTeam in celebration of her 50th birthday next year!

We began with a 10 minute warm-up run, followed by core exercises, and then more running. The weather was perfect for this evening's workout. 58F, clear skies, no wind. I could see my breath when I layed down at the end of the field doing my crunches.

Kristie was too easy on us for our first strength workout:
Double Leg Squats 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Calf raises 3 sets of 20 reps
Crunches 3x 1 minute
Bicycle 3x 1 minute
Push-ups 3x 20 reps
Kneeling Leg Press 3x 20 reps
Supermans 3x 10 reps

Our main run was a warmup for 3 minutes, accelerate for 3 min 30 sec to threshold, decelerate for 3 min 30 sec to aerobic, steady aerobic for 3 min 30 sec, repeat this cycle 4 times and then cooldown for 3 minutes. I lost count right away and decided it was easier if I accelerated on the straight parts of the track and decelerated in the curves.

Total run: 4.20 miles in 40 minutes

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Wow - sounds like you had much better luck with your workout then we did! :) Great job!

~danette~ said...

You are my inspiration for moving over to the Tri team! But I need do this in baby steps...Ironman is just too much of a leap for me! But for you, piece of cake...because you ROCK JJ!!!